Probably one of the most important, and most often over looked, methods to promote your business online, is to promote your website offline!
Here are a few general tips for the offline marketing of your website that are easy and generally inexpensive to put into action. Some will apply to your business more easily than others, but consider them all:
- Start with your existing marketing – make sure you put your Web address on all your flyers, brochures, business cards, catalogues, order forms etc. If you’re not planning to print more stationary for a while why not invest $20 or so in a self inking stamp then stamp the address on anything that leaves your hands in the meantime.
- The simplest, most economical way to go is make sure EVERY email that leaves your computer has a “signature” at the bottom featuring your website. Most, if not all, email programs have this option.. USE IT!
- Include your Web address in all your newspaper/newsletter advertising, and don’t forget encourage people to visit you at www.YOURWEBSITE.com
- Include your web address in your telephone answering message, after all you have a captive audience! Let them know they can find out more via the net 24 hours a day.
- When customers call, ask if they have Internet access. If they do, encourage them to also visit your web site for up to date information about your business. (explain that they’ll be able to access the information quicker than waiting for it to be mailed or faxed out to them). If they visit the site once it’s likely they will return next time they need to know something — AND refer their friends!
- Use your web address as a screen saver and set it to scroll across the screen when your PC is not in use. By seeing your web address every time you sit in front of your computer, you will be reminded of it subliminally… when you think it, you say it.
- If you are on the road a lot, it makes sense to have your web address displayed on your vehicle for all to see…let’s face it web addresses are a lot easier to remember than phone numbers.
Obviously not all the above points will be practical for everyone, but even if you get one or two offline website promotions up and running you’ll be going a long way towards getting people to visit your site, and that’s what you want isn’t it?